Efo (Greens Stew)
Ingredients For Efo, Greens Stew
* 1 pound collard greens or spinach
* 1 can (8-ounce) tomato paste
* 1 can (8-ounce) tomato puree
* 1 large onion, diced
* l Tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Wash the greens and tear into small pieces.
2. In a large pot or saucepan, place the greens in water and add the oil.
3. Boil greens until tender.
4. Add tomato paste, tomato puree, and diced onion.
5. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender. Serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Lunch and evening meals are typically served on large communal plates and shared among children according to their gender and age. Young children may eat from a dish with their mother, but when they reach the age of seven or eight, the boys and girls are separated and meals are eaten with members of the same sex.