Ingredients For Nigerian Chin-chin
* 3 cups flour
* 1 cup butter or margarine
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoons baking powder
* ½ cup water
* ½ cup milk (or an additional cup of water)
* Vegetable oil, for frying
Procedure For Making Chin Chin
1. Mix all the ingredients together (except oil) to form a dough.
2. Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board or other flat surface. Knead the dough until smooth (about 10 minutes).
3. Tear off a piece of dough and flatten it (about ½-inch thick) on the cutting board.
4. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares.
5. Pour some sugar in a paper bag (to coat the chinchin after it is fried).
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
7. Place a few of the squares into the oil and fry until golden brown.
8. Place the fried chinchin on a paper towel for a few seconds to soak up the extra oil (do not cool).
9. Place the chinchin into the bag of sugar and shake to coat all sides. Serve.
Makes about three dozen.